Care Coordination - Callen-Lorde

Care Coordination

In order to best support our patients at this time, Care Coordination is offering virtual care in addition to on-site services. Field visits for patient navigation services are cancelled indefinitely. If Callen-Lorde patients need case management support, call 646-965-5463, leave a voicemail, and a staff person will call you back within 48 hours. Learn more about accessing public benefits at

Callen-Lorde has various Care Coordination services that will suit any patient’s needs. For patients receiving medical care at Callen-Lorde, our Care Coordination department offers assistance with obtaining benefits and entitlements, HASA, ADAP, insurance navigation, gender marker changes, surgery coordination, and escorts to outside health care services. We can also provide referrals for housing, financial assistance, intimate partner violence, legal assistance, and other public and private resources.

Care Coordination services include:

Supportive Care Coordination

The Supportive Care Coordination program is open to all active Callen-Lorde patients. Patients accessing Supportive Care Coordination meet with a Case Manager for a brief visit to be connected to various benefit programs, community resources, culturally competent medical and mental health referrals (including gender affirming surgeons), housing resources, and legal services. Case Managers also help patients navigate health insurance issues. A detailed list of services is below.

Patients can come to a case management walk-in session, located Chelsea, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. Walk-in sessions are limited to 30 minutes and are first come, first served. Walk-in hours are as follows:

  • Chelsea: Mondays through Thursdays 9:00am – 6:30pm; Fridays 9:45am – 3:30pm.
  • Brooklyn: Monday 9:00am – 6:30pm; Tuesday through Friday 9:00am – 4:30pm
  • Bronx: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm; Tuesday and Thursday 9:00am – 6:30pm

Hours are subject to change due to staffing or holidays so please call (212) 271-7200 for updates. Patients may also call the Supportive Care Coordination number: (646) 965-5463 to leave a detailed voicemail and a Supportive Case Manager will return the call as soon as possible.

Supportive Care Coordination Case Managers can refer patients to:

  • Food Assistance: Click this link to locate a food pantry or soup kitchen near you.
  • Housing resources: Please note that Callen-Lorde is not a housing agency. Case Managers can provide patients with a list of housing resources in the community. Click this link to determine if you are eligible for HASA services before meeting with a Case Manager.
  • Chest / Breast exams: Note that you do not have to be insured to have a chest / breast exam! A Case Manager can enroll you into financial assistance programs to help you cover the cost of your chest / breast exam.

Supportive Care Coordination Case Managers help patients with:

  • Correcting gender markers: Please note that you will need a letter from your Callen-Lorde primary care provider to correct your gender marker. These letters can take up to 4 weeks to be generated. * Name change: Click this link for a step-by-step guide on how to change your name. If you have questions after reading the name change guide, please come see a Case Manager. If you have legal questions about the name change process, we recommend that you reach out to either the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund or the Sylvia Rivera Law Project.
  • Gender affirming surgery coordination: Please note that this can take longer than 30 minutes, so we strongly recommend coming early to a walk-in session and allowing plenty of time for your session. Based on the surgeon you choose to work with and your insurance plan guidelines, you may need letters of support from your primary care provider, a mental health therapist, and/or a psychiatrist. We can help you navigate this process.
  • Food stamp (SNAP) benefits and/or other entitlement programs: For Food Stamp (SNAP) benefits, please click this link to see if you’re eligible and on ways to apply for this resource.

Insurance help:

  • Enrollment in ADAP and APIC: We can assist you in enrolling for these programs. You can call the ADAP / APIC programs directly with any questions at 1-800-542-2437. The fax number for ADAP / APIC is 518-459-2749.
  • Enrollment in medication co-payment assistance programs
  • Insurance help:
    • Enrollment in ADAP and APIC: We can assist you in enrolling for these programs. You can call the ADAP / APIC programs directly with any questions at 1-800-542-2437. The fax number for ADAP / APIC is 518-459-2749.
    • Enrollment in medication co-payment assistance programs

Intensive Care Coordination

We get that it can be difficult to manage all of the different pieces of the current healthcare and social services setting. Managing your insurance, pharmacies, housing, cash assistance or other social benefit programs have all become overly complicated and difficult to navigate without additional support. Intensive HIV Care Coordination is a program where you can receive care coordination services both within the clinic and in your community or home around issues of treatment/illness education, treatment adherence, and social benefit services. Once enrolled in this program you are connected with both a Care Coordinator and a Patient Navigator and are provided with appointment reminders and escorts, advocacy at various social service agencies, health promotion to support better understanding of your health, adherence support to offer friendly reminders of medications, and assistance with keeping all of your providers informed of your needs. As part of participating in this program you will also be eligible to obtain transportation assistance for any appointments related to your care management needs.

Legal Services

Manhattan and South Brooklyn Legal Services have partnered with Callen-Lorde Community Health Center to provide you with legal support to ensure equal access to justice for the people of New York City by providing free counsel and legal advice to those who may otherwise be unable to afford it. Legal Services can assist you in legal support for issues involving housing, benefits (SSD/SSDI), family law, discrimination, confidentiality, advance directive/will issues, and other civil legal matters. If you need legal services support, please contact the Legal Services Central Access Line at 917-661-4500.