Expanding Access to Care
In 1969 – the same year as the Stonewall uprising – activists created an LGBTQ health clinic that became the grassroots foundation of Callen-Lorde.
Today, we are the largest provider of health care for both people living with HIV and people of trans/gender non-binary experience. People of Color make up 50% of our patient population. We also serve a large number of LGBTQ youth through our HOTT Program (Health Outreach to Teens), many of whom are homeless. 26% of our patients have no health insurance. We treat everyone, regardless of ability to pay.
We are not only the provider of much-needed care, but also hope.
Even with three facilities, two in Chelsea and one in the Bronx, expanded night and weekend hours, and locating administrative staff off-site, we still turn away 20 patients a day – 100 a week.
Embracing growth is our only option for meeting community demand. And that is exactly what our Board of Directors did in voting to sign a long-term lease on a 25,000 space in Brooklyn – and increase our clinical capacity by 60% – just 20 days after the 45th President took office. In the face of a shift in the federal administration and threats to affordable health care, we are placing the health of our community first!
We are currently recruiting motivated advocates, allies and fundraisers to join our Callen-Lorde Brooklyn Campaign Committee.
As a member of the Callen-Lorde Brooklyn Campaign Committee, there are a number of ways that you can provide meaningful support, and serve as an ambassador of this historic campaign.
- Begin by making a $3,000 minimum pledge of your support, to be paid over the course of 3 years.
- Engage in the mission and programs of Callen-Lorde, and our vision for Brooklyn.
- Serve as the eyes and ears of Callen-Lorde in the community, identifying potential fundraising opportunities, media placements, event activations and naming opportunities.
- Attend Callen-Lorde Brooklyn Campaign meetings as you are able.
- Take on additional responsibilities as a Campaign Co-chair.
In addition to the above, here are some other areas where we would love your support as a Campaign Committee Member:
- Help identify and recruit additional Callen-Lorde Brooklyn Campaign Committee members from within your social and professional networks.
- Host or co-host a donor cultivation event at your home or workplace.
- Facilitate corporate connections and make introductions to decision makers.
- Promote the campaign on your social media channels.
- Apply for a matching gift from your employer.
- Accompany the Callen-Lorde Senior Management team and/or Board of Directors on select donor visits.
- Help with in-kind support, i.e. introductions to vendors for events, printing, etc.
To lend your support to this historic endeavor and help change the future landscape of LGBTQ health in Brooklyn, join our Campaign Committee for Brooklyn by contacting Donnie Roberts, Senior Director of Development & Communications at (212) 271-7172 or download the Brooklyn Campaign Pledge Form and send via email to email@example.com.